With the new Nike Pegasus Plus 2, Nike is looking to dramatically improve the mild reception to the first Pegasus Plus by remodeling almost every aspect of it.
Lighter, more responsive, a different foam, and a new upper are just the beginning of this complete shoe remodel. Is the remodel worth it? As a person with a foot that enjoys Nike and has run in the previous version, I couldn’t wait to lace these up for a run.
If you’ve been around the running community for any length of time, you’ve probably at least heard of the Nike Pegasus, and maybe you even know its storied history at Nike as a reliable, no-nonsense workhorse of a shoe.
In August 2024 and January 2025, they released the first Pegasus Plus, followed by the Pegasus Premium. Both of these models give more oomph to a reliable daily trainer.
Both shoes left a bit to be desired; while I did use them, they ended up overshadowed by other more responsive options in my collection. Then the Pegasus Plus 2 arrived at my door to test, and it’s the only shoe I’ve worn since.

I ran Lululemon’s Sea Wheeze half marathon at the beginning of August, and the Pegasus Plus 2 has been the perfect shoe as I refocus my running. They’re bouncy yet responsive while being light, with a minimal stack height that, on the run, doesn’t feel so minimal.
Our Verdict
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: Maybe! Most likely worth a try on; the toe box is roomier, but the midsole might be tight for you.
- Heavier Runners: Could be unstable for people who really heel strike, but I don’t see a problem at all.
- Long Runs: Depending on the long, yes! I wouldn’t personally go over 10.
- Front of the Pack: Has some get-up-and-go, but not much.
This shoe is for a neutral runner who likes a bouncy yet responsive daily trainer and who runs many moderate effort miles.
Nike Pegasus Plus 2 Overview
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve run in my fair share of Nike shoes, and the Pegasus in many iterations is no exception. I was one of the people who found the Pegasus Plus 1 to be quite a dud, so testing this new version is right up my alley.
My first glance impression out of the box was how much the foam in the heel reminded me of the current Nike Vomero Plus. The shoe then merges with the Pegasus Premium’s exposed Air Zoom unit, but only in the forefoot.
At the same time, the shoe maintains a silhouette that reads true Pegasus. Combining reliable features from other models during a complete version remodel can be a complete hit or miss, so I took the Pegasus Plus 2 out for an easy run the next morning.
Coming off a recent half marathon, I took a full week off post-running to let my body fully recover, as sometimes it takes both my body and mind some time to feel actually ready to get back to it. Taking this shoe out for a test drive was the perfect little incentive to get me excited about getting back into training again.
I immediately felt the ZoomX foam utilized in the midsole that I know well from the Vomero Plus as being reliable and bouncy yet not too bulky for my taste.
I didn’t have any issues with the upper being too tight, and though the shoelaces themselves are a bit shorter than what you get from another brand, I found I had plenty of lace to keep them tied securely without double knotting.
The exposed Air Zoom unit in the forefoot was noticeable to me but only if I really thought about it. This is not a plated trainer. It won’t really propel you off the ground, but it will more gently poof you off instead. It’s not a shoe that feels dead underfoot, but it is not a race shoe or a shoe to go run your fastest workout in.
The Nike Pegasus Plus 2 is a wonderful shoe for most of my weekly mileage and helps keep me from constantly running in plated trainers.
I wore the Nike Pegasus Plus 2 on every run for two weeks, mostly at moderate efforts with a few pick-ups, progressions, and runs around the yard chasing our dog. I’m a middle-of-the-pack runner, so I never feel like I ask for too much out of any shoe I try.
Nike Pegasus Plus 2 Specifications
- Brand:Nike
- Usage: Daily Trainer
- Previous Model: Pegasus Plus
- Weight: 265g/9.3oz (Men’s US 10)
- Stack Height: 38mm heel / 28mm forefoot
- Heel Drop: 10 mm
- Launching in “Flash Crimson,” more colors to come.
- Not available in wide
- Available on nike.com for $170 on August 30, 2026
Quick Take
Pros
- Versatile trainer
- Wider toebox
- Soft yet responsive and light.
Cons
- Not a speedy shoe
- The heel can be unstable for some
Nike Pegasus Plus 2 Fit
Length: True to size
Width: Slightly narrow through the midfoot
Toe Box: Wider than original
Arch: Medium
Volume: Medium-high
I have a narrow foot, so Nike works for me generally anyway, but the Pegasus Plus 2 does have a great improvement in the roominess of the toe box. Let those little piggies stretch out; this feature will make the fit possible for more people looking for that feature.
It fits true to Nike sizing. I received my normal size and had zero issues with toes being crunched or with my heel slipping.
The upper does feature a gusseted tongue and a midfoot band to keep you from bouncing around in the shoe, and I laced them up as normal. I’ve had some issues lately with my feet falling asleep on the run, so I left the midfoot laces not completely tightly or firmly laced, yet tied a tight knot, and didn’t bounce or slip around at all.
Pegasus Plus vs Pegasus Plus 2
The Pegasus Plus 1 felt dead underfoot to me, and this feels like a completely different model of shoe.
- Where the foam felt dead, now it feels bouncy and responsive.
- The toebox is now wider to suit wider feet.
- Midfoot lockdown is more secure and allows for the wider toebox.
- The outsole is more flexible and uses less rubber to contribute to a lighter shoe overall.
- 18% more energy return
- 10% lighter than the Pegasus 42
After running almost entirely in the Adidas EVO SL for a year and a half, I’m back in some Nike! I really enjoyed all of my runs in the Pegasus Plus 2; I can truly lace it up and forget it.
Our team has tested a wide variety of daily trainers; here are the ones we find most similar in this category: The post Nike Pegasus Plus 2 Review: A Complete Remodel Done Right appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
Similar Shoes to the Nike Pegasus Plus 2
What to read next?
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/4qGsrOx
Post a Comment
Post a Comment