Marketed as a do-it-all gym shoe, the On Cloud X 5 will keep your feet comfortable for those long days on your feet, walks, and plyometric-focused workouts.

On Cloud x5 ReviewWhether or not the X 5s can do-it-all, highly depends on your lifestyle and workout regime. The X 5s are not for running or heavy lifting, but are a great option for walks and everyday wear.

Our Verdict

88%

The On Cloud X 5 is a comfortable, versatile gym shoe that shines for cardio, plyometrics, classes, and long days on your feet. The extra cushion makes it less ideal for heavy lifting, but for workouts that keep you moving, it’s a strong pick.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the On Cloud X 5 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Walking Workouts: Supportive and comfortable for walking miles.
  • Wide Feet: Not available in wide, the X 5s are a snug fit.
  • Standing All Day: Cushioned to support your feet all day.
  • Daily Wear: Great option for daily wear, especially those days when you’re doing a variety of activities.
Buy On Cloud X 5

This shoe is great for anyone that accumulates significant time on feet.

On Cloud X 5 Overview

If you’re looking for a shoe that can handle the variety of days, the On Cloud X 5 is a good option. I won’t be grabbing these for any runs, even a short session, but I tested the X 5s on daily walks, dog park trips, a work trip, and lifting sessions.

On Cloud x5 UpperAs a gymnast, I was conditioned to perform all plyometrics and bodyweight movements with bare feet. For that reason, I’ve never actually used a workout shoe before. I was curious to find out if I still felt as stable and grounded with something underfoot.

Strength and lifts for me include a mixture of heavy compound lifts and plyometrics. For me on those heavy lifts, I just didn’t feel as stable. The CloudTec cushioning and superfoam midsole is fairly compressible and too cushioned. This impacts form and range of motion.

Important to note they’re still WILDLY better than using your running shoes and if you are in a public space where you need gym shoes still an option for using machines or doing strength classes. But for working on heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats, we’d point to some of the less cushioned best gym shoes the team has reviewed.

On Cloud x5 CushionOn the flipside testing these shoes through those explosive moves, they were surprisingly responsive and absorbed the impact on landing.

Great for reducing impact on your body and joints! I’d recommend these HIIT and cardio classes.

I could see the X 5s also working well for certain cross-training. You’ll have the support you need for those elliptical, incline walk, stair stepper days. But like heavy lifts, I think it would feel like too much cushioning for the bike.

On Cloud X 5 Specifications

  • Brand: On
  • Usage: Gym, Walking
  • Previous Model: Cloud X 4
  • Weight: 10.2 oz Men’s, 8.4 oz Women’s
  • Stack Height: 32 mm
  • Heel Drop: 8 mm
  • Available in 4 colors
  • Not available in wide
  • Available on On.com for $160
Buy On Cloud X 5

Quick Take

Pros

  • Comfortable for all-day wear
  • Outsole is grippier than expected
  • Variety of uses

Cons

  • Pricey
  • Too cushioned for heavy lifting
  • Debris accumulates in the hollow / tubular foam

Another Great On Shoe For Everyday Usage

With 2 high energy dogs, I spend every evening walking my dogs or playing at the dog park. The midsole is flexible enough for even terrain and quick movements. 

The outsole covers the majority of the CloudTec foam tubes. I wouldn’t wear these on anything technical, but they grip decently on asphalt, concrete, and gravel packed trails.

I wore the X 5s exclusively on a work trip, which included long days on the manufacturing floor and lots of steps through the airport. The Helion superfoam felt just as supportive at the end of the day, as when I first put them on in the morning.

They were comfortable and supportive, even after long days. I see why On is popular with healthcare workers; these would also be great for those trips where you’re exploring a new city and walking all day.

Overall, the foam holds up well after lengthy wear. But, I have some concerns about the durability.

On Cloud x5 OutsoleThe CloudTec foam is unique for its “cloud elements” which are comprised of hollow tubes across the shoe. These are the perfect place for debris and dirt to build up.

In Colorado, it’s hard to go for a walk that doesn’t include some gravel, dirt, or rocks. I am not sure these would last multiple seasons here.

On Cloud X 5 Fit

Length: Might go 1/2 size up if unsure
Width: Narrow
Toe Box: Narrow
Arch: High
Volume: Low

I found the On Cloud X 5’s to be a snug fit. There is significant arch support and a padded tongue and feel to create a cushioned, locked in feeling for your feet.

On Cloud x5 LacesFor me, my standard size worked well but there is no extra room. If you tend to be in-between sizes, have wider feet, or want to wear thicker socks, I recommend you size up.

On Cloud X 5 Feel

The CloudTec cushioning is unique to On’s shoes. The hollow foam tubes across the sole along with the Helion superform create the soft yet supportive feeling. The tech in the soles is quite innovative. The separate tubular elements really help to maintain responsiveness and cushioning.

On Cloud x5 InstepThe upper on the X 5s is thicker through the midfoot and mesh / breathable through the toe box. My feet stayed cool in the hot, humid August temperatures, although the toe box would be permeable in wet conditions.

Some people have commented that the X 5 is a very lightweight shoe. The X 5s are heavier than my everyday running shoes, but they don’t feel heavy on your feet like a max cushioned shoe.

3 of the 4 colorways are primarily white. The X 5’s have a very clean aesthetic and minimal design. The On branding is relatively discrete, but they feature their easily recognizable CloudTec cushioning.

The design feels like a fashion sneaker, with the added training usability.

Similar Shoes to the On Cloud X 5

While not specifically workout shoes, I wanted to provide some comparisons that have similar features to the X 5 to help you get a better idea of the shoe!

Buy On Cloud X 5

Who Tried It?

I’m Jen: a former gymnast, turned runner and mountaineer. I ran my first half marathon in 2022 and haven’t looked back, now logging 40-60 MPW, while often simultaneously training for my next climb. When I’m not training, you’ll find me somewhere within the Colorado Rockies with my 2 pups, Badger (lab-mix) and Lupin (weimaraner).

What to read next?

The post On Cloud X 5 Review: Best for Cardio, Plyometrics and All Day Wear appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/KhkVDd8