On every run, the ASICS Sonicblast 2 made me feel light and fast without even trying. A reasonably priced and stable super shoe made for all types of runs.

ASICS has been continuing its blast lineup of shoes, and the Sonicblast 2 is the latest one to hit the market.
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: Average fit; it is not designed for wide feet, and the toe box is a bit narrow.
- Heavier Runners: The foam and responsive cushioning make it great for heavier runners.
- Long Runs: Designed with long runs in mind.
- Front of the Pack: Feels faster than the average trainer, but not for the front-of-the-pack runners.
The Sonicblast 2 is great for runners who are trying to get faster while being able to continuously train in their race day shoes.
ASICS Sonicblast 2 Overview
The new ASICS Sonicblast 2 is a great updated shoe from the first version.

Although the stack height and heel-to-toe drop stayed the same, the changes to the foam and plate make all the difference.
It has the same FF Turbo Squared cushioning combined with the FF Blast Max foam, but the FF Turbo Squared foam is now extended through the midsole and into the forefoot trampoline pod.
This creates more energy and momentum as you roll forward towards the front of the shoe.

Additionally, they redesigned the Astroplate into a forked shape to work better with the foam and create a faster feel underfoot. Compared to a traditional carbon plate, the Astroplate is lightweight and flexible, which allows you to train in it daily while still providing a bouncy and energetic ride.
I tested the ASICS Sonicblast 2 on a few different runs, including a 5k, a 14-mile long run, and some easy 6-7 mile runs.
Personally, I felt that this shoe made me feel faster and had a bouncier and more energetic feel than the shoes I usually run in. Although I was not trying to go fast on any of these runs, it almost felt like going slower was not an option, and the shoes definitely felt better when I was picking up the pace.

My pace and times were actually faster in these shoes compared to when I wore my regular trainers with the same exact conditions (time, weather, course, etc). The 5k I ran in these shoes was my fastest 5k in my entire training block so far, and it just felt easy to go that fast.
This is also my first time running in any type of plated shoe, and I could definitely feel the difference between them and my regular trainers.
Although I enjoyed the fast feel of these shoes, there were some negatives to them as well.
The ASICS Sonicblast 2 felt great for shorter distances and was definitely roomier and wider than some other narrow shoes I have tried. However, the narrow feel of the shoe and toebox definitely had an impact for me during the longer runs. After about 7 miles, I was more conscious of my big toe and the space within the toebox.

The ASICS Sonicblast 2 are designed for longer distances, but personally, I wouldn’t choose them for anything beyond a half marathon because I need a little more room in my shoes.
Your feet also tend to swell during a marathon and, unless I got a bigger size, I would be worried that these would be too narrow for such a long distance (at least for me).
I would also not use the ASICS Sonicblast 2 as my only trainer.
They felt best when I was picking up the pace, and I really enjoyed running in them when I was going faster. However, I was not crazy about them during my recovery runs and some of my easy runs. They felt almost uncomfortable when I was trying to go slower. I always felt like I had to pick up the pace in these, no matter how tired my legs were.

I love them for faster and tempo runs, and I think they’re a great shoe to add to your rotation. However, I wouldn’t recommend them as your only pair of running shoes.
ASICS Sonicblast 2 Specifications
- Brand: ASICS
- Usage: Carbon Plated
- Previous Model: ASICS Sonicblast
- Weight: 8.5 oz men’s, 7.5 oz women’s
- Stack Height: 46mm
- Heel Drop: 8mm
- Not available in wide sizes
- Available at asics.com for $190

I absolutely love the white/sun coral color of this shoe. Personally, I am a big fan of white colored shoes (even though they get dirty so easily), and the coral/orange color really pops. I also received so many compliments on the color every time I wore them.
Quick Take
Pros
- Picks up the pace easily
- Lightweight cushioning
- Bouncy and energetic feel
Cons
- Smaller toebox
- Feels better when picking up the pace
- Plated shoe, which not everyone wants
ASICS Sonicblast 2 Fit
Length: True to size
Width: Average to slightly narrow
Toe Box: Narrow, especially noticeable on longer runs
Arch: Average
Volume: Average to slightly low
I tried the Sonicblast 2 in my standard running shoe size, and they fit well for my shorter runs. I had no sliding issues at all.
I ran with almost 100% humidity while on vacation, and they still felt very breathable and cool.
The cushion and foam felt supportive without me feeling like I was sinking into them. Although they felt a little bit rigid, it did not feel like I had to break them in; instead, I could comfortably run with them from the start.
However, once I started running in them for longer distances, I started having some issues with the fit. They definitely started to feel more narrow the more I ran in them, especially in the toebox.

I also felt like I had to loosen up the laces in order to get more room. These do not come in wide, but they might fit better a ½ size up for people with wider feet.
ASICS Sonicblast 2 Feel
I loved the feel of the dual cushion/foam of the ASICS Sonicblast 2. They felt bouncy and energetic without being overly supportive. I never felt like I was sinking into them or that they were too heavy to run in. They constantly felt light and easy.
I usually run in the Hoka Mach 6 shoes and, while I love them, they have never felt bouncy like these.
It was so fun to run in a shoe that made me feel fast.
The ASICS Sonicblast 2 also felt very stable and supportive. I never felt like my ankles were doing any extra work, even during the longer runs.

I am definitely adding the ASICS Sonicblast 2 to my shoe rotation for tempo runs and anything 13 miles or less.
Similar Shoes to the ASICS Sonicblast 2
Our team has tested a wide variety of carbon-plated shoes; here are the ones we find most similar in this category:
- Mizuno Neo Vista 3 – Similar bouncy, plated ride, but softer and more focused on long-run comfort.
- Puma Deviate Nitro 3 – Similar stable, energetic plated feel, but slightly heavier and more substantial.
- Hoka Mach X3 – Similar lightweight, bouncy plated ride, but more aggressive and speed-focused.
Our Verdict
The newest version of this shoe is a bit lighter with the same stack height and heel-to-toe drop. However, the cushioning and plate have been redesigned to give a bouncier and faster ride compared to its predecessor.
Best for tempo runs and anything half marathon distance or under — the narrow toebox makes it less ideal for longer efforts.
Unfortunately, they are not going to be my marathon shoes, but I am excited to wear them during my next half marathon and hopefully get a new PR!
Who Tried It?
Hi, I’m Megan Matesic. I’m a New Jersey-based runner who rediscovered running in my 30s and quickly fell back in love with the sport. I ran my first marathon in 2025 and am currently training for the New York City Marathon, with a 50K a few weeks after. Running has become a big part of my life and has also been a huge help for my mental health, giving me time to clear my head, reset, and feel like myself. When I’m not running, I work in higher education, love to read, and spend a lot of my free time with family and friends.
What to read next?
- Adidas Adizero Pro 5 Review | A Faster, More Stable Marathon Super Shoe
- Topo Ultraventure 5 Review | A Trail Shoe Built for More Than Trails
- Asics Nimbus Mirai 2 Preview: In Circular Motion
The post ASICS Sonicblast 2 Review | A Light and Bouncy Shoe That Makes You Want to Run Faster appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/HgAsbty
Post a Comment
Post a Comment