The first thing I noticed in the Puma Velocity Nitro 5 was the road.
After spending a lot of time lately in tall, energetic shoes like the ASICS Megablast and Nike Vomero Plus, feeling the pavement again was almost refreshing.
I put over 100 miles into the Velocity over two weeks in August, mostly through grey San Francisco mornings where the fog left the sidewalks and roads just wet enough to matter.
I also caught the shoe with a pretty wide range of legs. I ran them fresh, between harder sessions in the Megablast, and immediately after a big hike when my legs wanted absolutely nothing to do with running. That post-hike run was not pretty. My stride was short, everything felt stiff, and I mostly needed a shoe that would let me get through the first few miles without fighting it.
There is enough NITROFOAM underneath you to take the edge off the pavement, but you still know exactly where your foot is landing. Coming out of a higher stack shoe, that took a little recalibration.
The forefoot bends, you feel the ground, and there is none of that waiting for a huge stack of foam to compress and push you into the next stride.
A few runs in, I stopped thinking about what the Velocity did not have. I was just enjoying running closer to the ground again.
The Velocity Nitro 5 is lightweight, flexible, cushioned enough for everyday mileage, and has seriously good grip for a lightweight trainer when the roads get wet.
It feels surprisingly different from where a lot of daily trainers are heading right now.
Our Verdict
There are faster daily trainers than the Velocity, and there are definitely shoes I would rather have underneath me three hours into a run.
But most of my runs are not races or three hours long. They are regular Tuesday mornings, recovery miles, doubles, or runs squeezed into whatever else is happening that day. The Velocity is really good at those.
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: Not by default. The standard fit is fairly close through the midfoot, but Puma offers a wide version.
- Heavier Runners: Good for daily mileage, though I would look elsewhere if you specifically want a lot of cushion underneath you.
- Long Runs: Capable, but not my first choice. I liked it much more for stacking normal daily miles.
- Front of the Pack: Not a race shoe, but it is light enough that faster running never feels awkward.
This shoe is great for the miles between bigger sessions. I ended up using it a lot when I looked at the shoes by the door and did not want a giant slab of foam underneath me.
Puma Velocity Nitro 5 Overview
The Velocity Nitro 5 feels almost unusual now simply because of how normal it is.
The 33 mm heel is modest compared with a lot of current trainers. The forefoot flexes easily; there is no plate, and you are not perched on top of an aggressive rocker.
Switching back and forth with the Megablast made the difference really obvious. The Megablast keeps giving you something back and carrying momentum into the next stride.
The first mile in the Velocity after that could feel almost flat. Then I would settle in and start noticing my feet and the road more than the shoe.
I really liked that after my hike. My legs were stiff enough that my stride was shorter and uglier than normal, and I had zero interest in trying to run at normal pace.
The Velocity bent wherever my foot wanted it to and let me shuffle around until my legs finally started working again.
PUMAGRIP was the other thing I kept noticing. San Francisco fog can leave the streets wet even though it has not actually rained. Painted crosswalks get slick, smooth concrete gets slick, even some of the darker asphalt can surprise you.
I never really thought about any of it in the Velocity. I could turn normally instead of doing that weird little wet-pavement shuffle where you suddenly take three tiny steps around a corner.
Puma Velocity Nitro 4 Specifications
- Brand: Puma
- Usage: Daily Trainer
- Previous Model: Velocity Nitro 4
- Weight: 8.6 oz Men’s size 9
- Stack Height: 33 mm heel / 25 mm forefoot
- Heel Drop: 8 mm
- Colors: Multiple colors
- Available in wide: Yes
- Available on puma.com for $140
The Velocity has a lean, athletic shape that looks almost unusual now that so many daily trainers have enormous midsoles. The Formstrip works really well here and gives an otherwise simple upper some identity.
It looks like a running shoe. Not every shoe needs to look good with jeans.
Quick Take
Pros
- Natural, flexible ride with good road feel
- Lightweight and easy to turn over
- Excellent PUMAGRIP traction
Cons
- Standard fit is fairly close
- Less protection for very long runs
- Limited bounce compared with higher-stack trainers
Puma Velocity Nitro 5 Fit
The fit is more dialed-in than roomy.
The engineered mesh wraps the midfoot closely without feeling restrictive. There is not much extra material moving around, and my normal size felt right immediately.
The toe box has enough room for me, but I would not call it generous. If you regularly need extra width or your feet tend to swell a lot, I would just get the wide version.
I barely thought about the tongue, which is probably the best compliment I can give it. Enough padding that the laces never bothered me, but nothing bulky. I set the laces and mostly left them alone.
The heel stayed planted too. I noticed that running around people, hopping curbs, and making quick turns through the neighborhood more than I did running straight ahead. After 100 miles, I still had no hotspots, heel movement, or weird little upper issue that had started to annoy me.
Puma Velocity Nitro Feel
The NITROFOAM is softer than the amount of road feel might suggest.

There is some give when your foot hits the ground, but you move through it quickly. The bigger sensation for me is actually the flexibility. My foot bends through the forefoot instead of being rolled forward by the shoe.
Going directly from the Megablast to the Velocity was occasionally pretty jarring. For the first mile, I would wonder where all the bounce went. By mile three, I usually was settled, and the Velocity felt responsive.
When I ran faster, I noticed the weight more than the foam. The Velocity turns over easily, and I had a few runs where the pace started creeping faster because my legs felt good. There was never a moment where the midsole suddenly came alive, though.
I actually like having that in my rotation. I run in enough shoes where I can clearly feel the geometry or foam influencing my stride. The Velocity gives me a break from that.
And after two weeks of on-and-off August mornings, PUMAGRIP is not just something I would stick on the spec sheet. It is one of the reasons I would buy the shoe.
The post Puma Velocity Nitro 5 Review: Grip That Handles Wet Roads appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
Similar Shoes to the Puma Velocity Nitro 5
What to read next?
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/Hb7KW8N
Post a Comment
Post a Comment