From recovery and hydration to gear that’s perfect for life on the go, this month’s roundup is packed with products our team has been enjoying lately.

Here are a few we think are worth adding to your radar.

If there’s a brand you think we need to try, drop us a comment! Or if you’ve tried one of these, let us know, as we’re always looking for more feedback on what’s working and what’s not.

Deuter Traick Belt

The Deuter Traick Belt is my favorite alternative to a running vest this summer. Whether I’m traveling light to beat the heat or need it as an add-on for extra storage on long efforts it worked really well.

Fit-wise, it ran true to size for me and stayed secure without bouncing or restricting my breathing. I found the five stretch pockets super easy to access and load on the run, and I used the zippered pocket to securely stash my keys and cards.

deuter traick pack

One highlight for me is the waistband design. The top seam is elastic to keep it in place (no sliding up or down), while the bottom seam is left loose. This let the belt expand naturally as I stuffed the pockets or breathed heavily on a climb. Even when fully loaded, I noticed it hardly bounced, which really impressed me.

I easily fit an 800mL soft flask with room to spare, plus a few gels. It has served as my go-to vest replacement for hot summer runs when I want to carry water but want to avoid overheating my back with a vest. 

The integrated pole carry works well for me, but if you use super minimalist, thin folding poles, I’d suggest double-checking the fit. The elastic loops have a grippy interior, but small-diameter poles may not lock in quite as securely as my standard trail poles.

  • Sizes: S, M, L
  • Colors: black
  • Multiple pockets and pole holder
  • Available from Amazon.com for $60

-Connie, gear tester

Cleer Audio Cleer ARC5s

With the Cleer ARC 5 Open Ear Headset, I don’t have to choose quality over awareness.With these earbuds, high quality music mingles delightfully with natural bird songs. 

These earbuds provide a rich, immersive sound without muffling the outside world. The ARC 5 is the first headset to receive a THX Spatial Audio certificate and offer Dolby Atmos optimization. With these headsets, sound has direction.

Cleer ARC 5’s earbuds have a sleek appearance and rest comfortably on the ears. The earhook is slightly flexible. Once hooked over my earlobe, the earbuds stayed secure. During a three-hour trail run, they stayed in place despite me hoping over logs and scrambling down boulders. I’ve attempted to dislodge them by shaking my head, but fortunately they remain stubbornly in place.  cleer audio

The earbuds can be controlled through voice, touch, and head motion. The intuitive controls allow me to adjust volume, skip tracks, answer (or reject) phone calls, and pause the tunes without slowing my pace.

I also appreciate that the buds have multi-point pairing. I can listen to a YouTube video on my computer, then seamlessly switch to answering my phone without removing the earbuds.

  • Weight: 11.5 grams
  • Battery life: 12 hours; charging case provides an additional 48 hours
  • Control through voice, motion, and touch
  • IPX7 water-resistant rating
  • Available from Amazon.com for $187

-Rebecca, gear tester

Outdoor Research Stratoburst Stretch

I’m a sucker for a jacket, and the Outdoor Research Women’s Stratoburst Stretch SE Rain Jacket has just moved to the top of my preference list for a wonderful spring/summer rain jacket.

I tested the jacket during prime spring rain in both Minneapolis and on a trip to Boston, and it performed perfectly in rain and as a light jacket. I was very pleased with the jacket’s waterproofing when worn out in the rain.

It was also lightweight and easy to pack in my carry-on, and easy to layer over a light sweatshirt.

There are interior and exterior pockets, perfect for stashing a metro card or any handheld valuables to keep out of the elements. It has a wonderful hood that folds into the collar in a way that is unobtrusive and aesthetically pleasing. The hood doesn’t feel bulky or noticeable while folded away in the collar, a problem that I’ve had with other rain jackets.

outdoor research stratoburst jacket

The hood itself is also one of the best functional hoods I’ve ever seen on a jacket. I never had to hold it on my head or try to push it back from covering my eyes. The jacket is perfect for someone with a short torso, so I absolutely loved it. It’s not cropped in any way, but it wasn’t a jacket that I had to unzip to sit down since it fell perfectly at my hip. 

It is not a breathable or activewear jacket, but it is perfect for a commute or for being outside during unpredictable spring weather. This Outdoor Research Women’s Stratoburst Stretch SE Rain Jacket is my new go-to.

-Katrina, gear tester

Thermacare Knee Wrap

ThermaCare HeatWraps are one of those simple recovery tools that can make a noticeable difference when your knees are feeling stiff or achy after training. The knee wrap fully secures around the joint, delivering gentle, consistent heat for hours without needing electricity or a microwave.

While heat wraps won’t fix the underlying cause of knee pain, they can help reduce soreness and stiffness, making it easier to move through your full range of motion or complete the strength exercises and physical therapy that actually address the issue. For runners, that’s often the difference between skipping rehab and sticking with it.thermacare knee wrap

We especially like these after long runs or tucked into a race bag for the drive home when your knees are begging for a little extra TLC. They’re an easy, portable way to get the benefits of heat therapy without being tied to a heating pad or sitting in one place.

Ultima Replenisher

Ultima Replenisher is a solid option for runners looking to stay on top of everyday hydration. Because it’s sugar free, it’s not designed to fuel long runs or hard workouts where you need carbohydrates along with electrolytes. Instead, it shines as an easy way to boost your daily fluid and electrolyte intake, which is something many runners unknowingly fall behind on.

The flavors are on the sweeter side compared to lighter options like Nuun, making it a good fit if plain water gets boring or you struggle to drink enough throughout the day. I like keeping it around for workdays, travel, or recovery days when I want a little more flavor without adding calories.

It’s not our first choice for big summer training sessions or races, but for everyday hydration and shorter, less sweaty workouts, Ultima Replenisher is an easy addition to your routine.

ultima

Just keep in mind that it’s different from the performance-focused electrolyte mixes, like Skratch and Tailwind, you’d use during a long run or race. Think of it as a daily hydration boost rather than something designed to fuel endurance performance.

There are a lot of flavors to pick from. And comes in stickpacks so it’s great to keep in your bag for when you’re travelling or out and about.

  • Flavors: 16
  • 0 Sugar, 55mg of sodium
  • Individual stick packs available in 16, 20 or 36 packs
  • Available from Amazon.com starting at $21

Is there a piece of gear you’ve been dying to know about or an area you’d love to see us focus on? You know the drill: drop a note below, and we’ll be happy to get the team on it if we can!

Looking for what to read next?

The post What We Tested in August (and What We’d Actually Buy) appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/GewFSaU