Meet the Jimmy Buffet of trail runners. The Teva Aventrail Road-2-Trail Running Shoe wants to play in the sand and splash in all the puddles – but it can also chase down that lost salt shaker.
It’s the shoe I never thought I needed. The TEVA Aventrail Road-2-Trail Running Shoe is the unexpected love child between a sport sandal and a trail runner. While these will not replace my daily trainers, they are a zippy substitute for traditional hiking sandals.
Our Verdict
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: While not designed for wide feet, I could adjust the straps so these shoes fit my wide forefoot.
- Technical Trails: As a road to trail shoe, the Teva Aventrail Road-2-Trail can handle some technical features, lots of gravel, and mixed terrain.
- Usage: These are ideal for runs with mixed terrain at or near water – especially for long runs on the beach or trails with streams.
- Long Runs: A long run with lots of hard surfaces? These are not my first choice. Long runs on the beach? Absolutely.
- Front of the Pack: These are sandals that feel like running shoes or running shoes that are sandal-capable. I would not choose these for race day but I’m sure I’d crush any competition in traditional sandals (especially those with a “sport mode”).
If your summer water plans involve running near, in or by water features, you can splash and dash in the Aventrail R2T Shoe.
Teva Aventrail Road-2-Trail Running Shoe Overview
When I first considered the Aventrail Road-2-Trail Running Shoe, I wondered how I would use them.
Then I remembered long beach runs near the foamy surf, trails that follow streams or rivers, and trails with multiple river crossings. I thought of swimming and running in the streams and brooks near my house and canoe trips to islands with remote running trails. I would use these.
For several weeks, I treated these shoe-sandal hybrids as my main running shoes. They traversed our local paths, roads, and gravel rail trails. Then, I tackled a 10-mile run with a rocky, brambly, rooty 3,300+ feet of elevation. To test their water capability, I wore them to a muddy river front and a sandy beach.
I was impressed. They were able to handle nearly every situation. While I might not reach for these for my next long run, they were a solid water-capable running shoe.
Like its sibling, the Aventrail Running Sandal, it has a trail running sole and hook-and-loop closure. Unlike the sandal, the shoe is enclosed with a breathable mesh and protective toe bumper. Definitely a win for a runner who often bruises her toes!
As a running shoe, these performed best on roads and light to moderate trails. The Aventrail’s sole was reliable even during some beefy climbs. They felt light and cushy underfoot.
As a sandal substitute, the shoes were airy and comfortable. During stream crossings and beach play, water sheds rapidly from these shoes.
However, when I wore these in dew-damp grass, my bare feet became soaked. The water squelched out of the shoes with a sound between a frog and a … umm … flatulence.
Despite the musicality of the shoes, they have become one of my summer staples.
Teva Aventrail Road-2-Trail Specs
- Brand: Teva
- Usage: Road to trail
- Previous Model: None
- Weight: 10.4 oz Men’s size 9, 8.5 oz Women’s size 7
- Stack Height: 33mm
- Heel Drop: 5 mm
- 3 Colors
- Not available in wide
- Available on TEVA.com for $150
Quick Take
Pros
- Quick to drain water
- Roomy toebox and easy to adjust
- Comfortable cushion
Cons
- Noisy when damp
- Thin insole
- Not great for longer runs
The functional and funky straps and elevated stack give these shoes a fun space-age vibe. I kinda love it. Meanwhile, 3.5 mm lugs provide plenty of traction on mixed terrain.
Teva Aventrail Road-2-Trail Running She Fit
The Aventrail R2T Shoe has a cushy, forgiving fit. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and usually prefer wide-fit or natural shaped shoes. Despite the Aventrail’s traditional toe box, I did not find the shoes restrictive.
The minimal upper is mostly mesh, except for the toe bumper, which protects the toes during rocky runs. This stiff mesh breathes well and feels cool during hot runs. However, some sand and debris filtered into the shoe from the mesh upper.
The Aventrail R2T Shoe’s stretchy tongue is fused and sewn to the mesh upper. The stretchy fabric enables easy entry into the shoe. Pull straps located in the tongue and heel make putting these shoes on effortless.
The softer fabric continues under the mesh, attaching near the heel. A short, stretchy collar from the same material prevents debris from entering from the top of the shoe.
The strapping system is borrowed from TEVA’s long history in sport sandals. The hook and loop closure feels secure and can be adjusted at both the toe and the midfoot.
The adjustability enables a wide-toe runner like me to wear these shoes without discomfort. I imagine that those with narrower feet would also be able to cinch the shoes to fit. However, the strapping system creates some pressure under the straps – just like sports sandals.
While the Aventrail does not have a heel strap, a thick heel cushion held my heel in place. This cushion both secures the shoe but also reduces the likelihood of blisters when worn without socks.
Underfoot, a slight arch support helps stabilize runners. After an hour running in these shoes, I wish the insole cradled my foot a little more. These shoes provide a little arch support – those with low or flat arches might notice it. I have very high arches and did not feel it.
TEVA Aventrail R2T Running Shoe Feel
For short runs, the TEVA Aventrail R2T offer a plush and zippy feel. These are surprisingly light weight and have a dynamic rocker.
The 3.5 mm lugs performed well on slick trails, some mud, gravel, and pavement. While these were not as reliable as Vibram soles, I could trust them in most conditions.
The traction seemed least secure on wet rocks – exactly where I would wear these hybrid shoes. If I was running a technical trail with wet granite, I would select a shoe with a Vibram sole that drained well. However, the TEVA Aventrail R2T performed well on beach runs and less technical adventures.
The shoes have a thick base with a squishy midsole. Despite its height, the sole felt stable during my runs.
As is often the case, the shoes trade responsiveness and ground feel for a cushy ride. I enjoy lots of cushion, so it’s a trade-off I appreciate.
The insole layer was adequate but I think there’s some room for improvement. When wet, it quickly shed water. When running in water conditions, I prefer my insole to shed water quickly rather than becoming a portable bog.
But during my long run, I wished for more support. The insoles are very thin, and as the miles accumulated, they felt flat under my feet. If I were to complete another long run in these shoes, I may replace the insoles with Super Feet Insoles.
During runs longer than a mile, I chose to wear socks. The shoes are comfortable for sockless feet but I preferred the protection and comfort of wicking socks.
Of the shoes I have tried, the Aventrail reminds me most of the Mount-to-Coast H1. Like the Aventrail, these are lightweight and designed for mixed terrain. The lugs on the H1 are 1.9 mm – less robust than the Aventrail’s 3.5 mm lugs.
While both shoes have a traditionally narrow toe box, they also offer a separate adjustment for the toe and the midfoot. On the Aventrail, runners have two hook-and-loop straps they can adjust. On Mount-to-Coast H1, they can dial in their fit using a dual lacing system.
The Mount-to-Coast H1 is a true running shoe with soft, breathable upper rather than the Aventrail’s Mesh. Underfoot, the Mount to Coast cushion feels more lively and supportive than the Aventrail’s midsole cushion. As a running shoe, I prefer the Mount-to-Coast but in wet conditions, the Aventrail conquers watery terrain.
To me, The Aventrail R2T Running Shoe is a delightfully fast sport sandal that can be worn on watery adventures, hikes, and short runs. It may not be the shoe I use for an ultra but it is the shoe that can race to the beach and then splash in the surf.
Similar Shoes to Aventrail Road-2-Trail Shoes
- TEVA Aventrail Road-2-Trail Sandals – Similar base with a much more open upper.
- Topo Ultraventure 4 – These hybrid running shoes have a roomy toe box and a lug system designed for road, gravel, and trails.
- Hoka Hopara 2 – These hiking sandals have an enclosed toe, mesh upper, and open heel. While they are designed for hiking, I imagine they would be comfortable running as well.
Who Tried It?
Becky Trudeau lives in New Hampshire and enjoys trail running in the mountains near her home. She has completed multiple half marathons, a mountain marathon, and several ultra marathons. When not running, you may find her mountain biking, backcountry touring, cross-country skiing, or reading a mystery.
Looking for more running shoe tips?
The post Teva Turned Its Sandal DNA Into a Trail Running Shoe appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/PULedIG
Post a Comment
Post a Comment