If I had to use one word to describe the Salomon Genesis 2 Trail Shoe: Grippy. Designed as a “do-it-all” trail runner, these are a great option for technical trails and runners wanting more security underfoot.

Salomon Genesis 2 OverviewI put about 30 miles on the Salomon Genesis 2 across rocky trails, loose scree, wet terrain, and long climbs and descents. I also wore them for a long hike in the Rockies. Across all of it, the standout feature was traction. I felt noticeably more secure on loose and rocky terrain than I do in many trail running shoes.

If you ran in the original Salomon Genesis, version 2 keeps much of what worked while making a few meaningful updates to the fit, stability, and outsole..

Our Verdict

The updates to an already good shoe have made it great for any trail runner seeking fantastic grip on technical terrain with a moderately firm ride. It’s not the fastest or the most cushioned, but it’s absolutely going to have you feeling confident in your step.

91%

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the Salomon Genesis 2 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: There is now a separate Genesis 2 Wide option. The standard version also feels roomier through the midfoot and forefoot than the original.
  • Technical Trails: Yes. The 4 mm lugs and updated outsole pattern provide excellent traction over rocks, scree, dirt, and uneven terrain.
  • Long Runs: oYes, if you prefer moderate cushioning and ground feel. The optiFOAM midsole provides enough protection for longer trail days without feeling overly soft.
  • Front of the Pack: Probably not my first choice for racing. This is more of a dependable trail workhorse than a lightweight, highly propulsive race shoe.
Buy Salomon Genesis 2


The Genesis 2 is especially good across varied terrain.

Where I noticed the biggest difference was on technical terrain. Many trail shoes I’ve tested handle dirt and rocks well but become less confidence inspiring once I hit loose scree. In the Genesis 2, I felt secure even across scree and rocky descents with very little slipping.

Salomon Genesis 2 Overview

The Salomon Genesis 2 is a great option for runners looking for grip, stability, protection, and ground feel on technical trails.

If you primarily want a highly cushioned trail shoe or spend most of your time on packed gravel and mellow trails, this probably shouldn’t be your first choice. But for rocky, uneven, or unpredictable terrain, it’s a dependable workhorse.

Salomon Genesis 2 ReviewThese shoes are a great workhorse for daily trail runs, they prioritize comfort and stability. Some folks like these for ultras (famously Courtney Dauwalter won UTMB in the Genesis), but I’d want  something with more cushioning as the miles stack up.

The optiFOAM midsole provides moderate cushioning with a relatively firm, stable ride. The updated activeCHASSIS is integrated into the midsole to add support without making the shoe feel overly rigid.

That’s a combination I appreciated on rocky terrain. The shoe is protective, but I could still feel enough of the trail underneath me to place my feet confidently.

After about 30 miles, I also didn’t notice any significant foot fatigue. There was no real break in period, and the shoe felt comfortable from my first run.

Grip is where the Genesis 2 really separates itself.

The two part lug pattern supports Salomon’s do-it-all design with these shoes. The deep, forward-facing chevrons provided traction for going up and down hill. There are also prism-shaped lugs along the inside of the fit to help grip over uneven terrain.

Salomon Genesis 2 OutsoleThe updated 4 mm lug pattern includes directional chevrons that provide traction climbing and descending, along with differently shaped lugs through the forefoot to maintain contact on uneven surfaces. The outsole also has extensive rubber coverage, which adds to that secure feeling on technical terrain.

I also tested the Genesis 2 on a long hike through the Rockies because, as every trail runner knows, sometimes trail running turns into power hiking.

It handled sandy, rocky, loose, and wet terrain extremely well. I’d happily choose these for technical hikes where approach shoes feel like overkill, in addition to technical trail runs.

Salomon Genesis 2 Specifications

  • Brand: Salomon
  • Usage: Trail Running
  • Previous Model: Salomon Genesis
  • Weight:10.3 oz (Men’s), 9 oz (Women’s)
  • Stack Height: 34 mm
  • Heel Drop: 8 mm
  • Available in 6 colors for Men, 4 colors for Women
  • Available in wide
  • Available on Salomon.com for $150
Buy Salomon Genesis 2
The Salomon Genesis 2 looks like a rugged trail shoe, and in this case the appearance matches the performance.

There are also Genesis 2 GORE TEX and Genesis 2 GTX Spike versions. The GORE TEX version is designed for runners who want waterproof protection for wet or snowy conditions.

The GTX Spike is a more specialized winter option that combines GORE TEX protection with tungsten carbide spikes for runners who regularly encounter icy conditions.

Quick Take

Pros

  • Different lug shapes for varied terrain
  • Excellent grip on technical terrain
  • Good balance of protection and ground feel
  • No break in period
  • Roomier fit than the original Genesis

Cons

  • QuickLACE system loosened during my runs
  • Upper didn’t feel especially breathable
  • Firm ride won’t appeal to runners who prefer plush cushioning
  • Heavier than many trail racing shoes

Salomon Genesis 2 Fit

Salomon is known for their snug fitting shoes, to create a locked-in feel over technical terrain, so much of the fit is tailored to creating that feeling.

Salomon Genesis 2 WearI found the Genesis 2 to run true to size. The tongue on the v2 is less padded than the original, but more padded than many of my other trail shoes.

There is also quite a bit of padding around the heel. Not to the extent of many super shoes (like the Vapor / Alpha Fly), but the heel padding is noticeable. This creates that locked in feeling, especially when running downhill.

The QuickLACE system is one of Salomon’s signature features. I like being able to tighten the shoe with one pull, and I didn’t have to spend time adjusting individual sections of the laces to eliminate pressure points.

My issue was that after about six miles on the trail, the lacing system loosened noticeably.

Salomon Genesis 2 LacesIt is super easy to stop and tighten as needed but I found it a bit annoying to stop and lose momentum. 

Also, the cord is excessively long, I know you can tuck the laces away, but the laces could definitely be shortened without losing any functionality.

Salomon Genesis 2 Feel

The Salomon Genesis 2 gives you a stable and moderately firm ride.

It’s comfortable without feeling plush, and runners shouldn’t expect the kind of bounce or propulsion you’d get from a highly cushioned or plated trail shoe.

For technical trails, I actually think that’s part of the appeal.
Salomon Genesis 2 Instep
The moderate stack and firmer platform gave me a better sense of where my feet were landing while the chassis provided enough support that I didn’t feel like my ankles and tendons were doing all the work.

The Genesis 2 is constructed with a Matryx upper. The upper is lightweight and flexible. I have found the upper to hold up well after movement over rocks and running through shrubs, it’s durable.
The Genesis 2 uses a Matryx upper designed to balance low weight, durability, and breathability.

Durability has been excellent so far. After moving over rocks and running through shrubs, I haven’t noticed meaningful damage to the upper.

Breathability was less impressive for me.

On longer runs, particularly in warmer conditions, my feet were noticeably sweaty toward the end. That’s worth keeping in mind if you regularly run in hot weather.

The updated activeCHASSIS is now integrated directly into the midsole. It’s intended to improve stability and guidance while maintaining agility and ground feel.

I could actually feel the benefit on varied terrain. With more minimal trail shoes, I sometimes notice my feet, ankles, and lower legs doing extra work to maintain stability. In the Genesis 2, my feet felt secure when moving across uneven ground and when changing pace or grade.

Salomon Genesis 2 Outsole and Grip

Grip is the reason I would choose this shoe.

The Genesis 2 uses Salomon’s All Terrain contaGRIP outsole with redesigned 4 mm lugs. While plenty of trail shoes use 4 mm lugs, depth alone doesn’t tell the whole story. The shape, orientation, and amount of outsole coverage make a noticeable difference here.

I especially liked the traction descending. The directional chevron shaped lugs helped me feel secure braking downhill, while the extensive rubber coverage provided good contact when moving across rocks.

Wet rocks were another area where I thought version 2 performed better than the original Genesis.

And then there’s scree.

Loose rock is where I lose confidence in a lot of otherwise good trail shoes. During my testing in the Genesis 2, I felt much more secure crossing and descending loose rocky sections.

That’s the terrain where this shoe makes the most sense to me.

Salomon Genesis vs Genesis 2

I’ve put over 30 mites on both the Genesis and Genesis 2 in quick succession. There are a few key improvements in the second version.

Salomon Genesis 1 vs 2Grip: The Genesis 2 was grippier on rocks, particularly wet rocks. The outsole is almost entirely covered in lugs, with a larger toe bumper. The v2 has significantly more chevron-shaped lugs, particularly on the heel to support downhill running.

Fit: The v2 fits more like a standard shoe. The original Genesis was fairly narrow through the midfoot, along with a more padded tongue. The Genesis 2 is wider along the midfoot, but still keeps your feet locked down. The v2 will feel better for runners that like to splay their toes and aren’t specifically narrow footed.

Comfortability: Both versions of the Genesis have the quickLACE system, but the v2 did not loosen up quite as much as the original. Although, it did loosen up more than standard laces.

The Genesis 2 also has an updated optiFOAM midsole, I found the v2 to be a firmer ride yet more responsive. The midsole is great for maintaining ground feel, without too much ground feel. The foam responded quickly when changing pace and grade.

Similar Shoes to the Salomon Genesis 2

Our team has tested a wide variety of trail running shoes, here are ones we find most similar in this category:

Buy Salomon Genesis 2
The Salomon Genesis 2 is a technical trail shoe for runners who prioritize grip, stability, and ground feel over plush cushioning or speed.

Who Tried It?

I’m Jen: a former gymnast, turned runner and mountaineer. I ran my first half marathon in 2022, and haven’t looked back, now logging 40-60 MPW, while often simultaneously training for my next climb. When I’m not training, you’ll find me somewhere within the Colorado Rockies with my 2 pups, Badger (lab-mix) and Lupin (weimaraner).

What to read next?

The post The Salomon Genesis 2 Wants the Hard Trails appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/rUph35G