The On Cloudboom Strike 2 is a carbon plated racing shoe that keeps the fast, firm feel we loved in the original while adding an upgraded foam that makes the ride even more responsive and fun.On Cloudboom Strike 2 ReviewWhen On dropped the original Cloudboom Strike in 2025, they finally had a carbon racer that could sit at the grown-ups’ table. After three versions of the Cloudboom Echo that never quite made noise, the Strike was the turning point; a near-unanimous hit and the first On super shoe most of us actually wanted to race in.

So the updated Cloudboom Strike 2 isn’t a fix; it’s an upgrade to a shoe that was already working pretty dang well. On kept the spec info familiar (39.5mm stack, 5mm drop, a full-length carbon plate) and improved a couple other areas.

The big story is underfoot: a new segmented CloudTec Sphere geometry, a lighter, higher-PEBA Helion HF foam, and a curved carbon Speedboard tuned for a more aggressive forward roll.

It still uses the drop-in midsole construction, which, full disclosure; makes me irrationally happy. I am a sucker for a drop-in insole and always have been. And there’s also a Lightspray version if sub-7 ounces still isn’t light enough for you.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 OverviewThis shoe is FUN. It’s bouncy and peppy without feeling mushy, and it’s got a firm underfoot personality that I think a very specific kind of runner is going to fall hard for.

It’s also priced at $250, which is actually LESS than the original; a rare and welcome direction for a super shoe.

One upfront caveat: the shoe did, unfortunately, flare up a neuroma in my foot on one of my first runs (a workout) in them. I’m honestly not yet sure whether that’s the shoe or just my foot being cranky; but I did have a LOT of fun cruising in the shoes before my foot started making some noise.

Our Verdict

96%

This shoe is FUN in a way that makes hard efforts feel like play, the drop-in insole scratches a very specific itch, and the poppy-but-firm ride is exactly my kind of super shoe. The new foam feels like a real step forward, and at $250 it’s one of the better values in the carbon-racer category right now. The green/purple color combo is also super flashy! You can’t help but feel sleek wearing these puppies.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the On Cloudboom Strike 2 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: On’s fit tends to run generously, and the toe box here is roomy in a way I liked; but super narrow feet might have too much wiggle room. Because of the space, you’ll likely need to cinch the laces down a fair bit; and the thin, flat laces can create a little lace bite on top of the foot. Medium widths should be very happy. Truly wide feet: watch how the upper buckles once you crank the laces.
  • Heavier Runners: The ride is balanced and versatile, but this isn’t a stability shoe. If you’re a bigger runner who needs a planted platform, you may want something with more structure underfoot; the low drop also asks a bit more of your calves and feet.
  • Long Runs: YES. It’s built for the marathon, and the new Helion HF foam is more compliant in the forefoot and seems to hold its rebound better deep into a run; exactly where the original could feel a touch unforgiving. The one thing I’d watch over very long distances is that lace bite.
  • Front of the Pack: Absolutely. This is an elite-speed race shoe through and through, worn by On’s marathon roster and clearly designed for people chasing fast times.
Buy On Cloudboom Strike 2

Bottom line: this is a well-rounded, do-a-lot racer at a friendlier-than-expected price. It may not win any single category outright, but that balance is the point; and if you love a poppy-but-firm super shoe, you’re going to really like this one.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 Overview

The first thing I did when I pulled these out of the box was lift out the drop-in insole, because of course I did.

That drop-in midsole construction is one of my favorite things about the Strike line; it’s practical (you can pull the top layer to clean it or eyeball the plate) and it gives the step-in this plush, settled-into-the-shoe feeling I love.

Adding extra cushioning directly underfoot (instead of in the midsole) really helps you stay connected to the shoe.

Step in and the bounce is immediate. It’s squishy and lively, but there’s a firmness under the ball of the foot that keeps it from feeling sloppy and not marshmallowy.

In On’s lineup, the Strike sits at the top of the racing pyramid, with the everyday cushioned trainers below it and the Lightspray version as the ultralight racing sibling for people who want to shave every last gram.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 OutsoleOn my early runs, the read was simple: this shoe is a BLAST. Fast, springy, fun. The kind of shoe that makes you want to pick it up just to feel it snap back at you.

I’m keeping my experiential notes honest and a little reserved here because I’m still early in testing (see: neuroma question), but the first-impression fun factor is very real.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 Specifications

  • Brand: On
  • Usage: Super Trainer
  • Previous Model: Cloudboom Strike
  • Weight: 7.05 oz Men’s 9 / 6.3 oz Women’s 8 (Lightspray version drops to ~5.6 oz)
  • Stack Height: 39.5mm heel / 34.5mm forefoot
  • Heel Drop: 5mm
  • Available in wide? No
  • Price: $250 (Lightspray $310); on on.com
Buy On Cloudboom Strike 2

Quick Take

Pros

  • Lightweight and responsive
  • Roomy toebox
  • Locked in feel

Cons

  • When cinched, laces can feel tight across top of foot
  • Sizing is a bit odd

On Cloudboom Strike 2 Fit

The fit runs on the generous side, which is the norm for On, in my experience. The toe box is roomy, and as a narrow-footed runner I had plenty of vertical and horizontal wiggle room; if anything, I had room to spare.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 UpperWhere I had to work was the midfoot. To get a solid lockdown I had to cinch the laces down noticeably, and the laces themselves are thin and flat, so I felt a bit of pressure across the top of my foot.

It wasn’t a dealbreaker on shorter runs, but it’s the kind of thing that can nag over marathon distance, so I’d play with your lacing early. When you do crank them, the upper can bunch a little up toward the toe.

The heel and Achilles area feels more structured and padded than I expected, and the lockdown back there was solid once I dialed the rest in.

On sizing can be tricky (some runners size down half a size in the brand), so if you’re new to On, I’d try before you commit or order with easy returns.

On Cloudboom Strike 2 Feel

This shoe is bouncy and squishy in the best way, with that firm platform under the forefoot keeping everything snappy instead of soft.

On Cloudboom Strike CushionThe segmented CloudTec Sphere geometry is designed to let the foam compress and rebound more freely, and paired with the curved carbon Speedboard, you get an aggressive forward roll that wants to move.

The energy return is legit, and the new foam feels more compliant up front than the original did, which bodes well for the back half of a long race.

If you like a poppy, firm-underfoot super shoe rather than a tall, pillowy one, this is your ride. It’s got the pop without punishing you.

As I mentioned in the intro: during one of my early runs, this shoe flared up the neuroma in my foot. I want to be careful and fair here, because I’m truly not sure yet whether that’s the Strike 2’s plate and geometry or simply my foot being sensitive that day; I’ve had my foot decide to be dramatic for reasons that have nothing to do with the shoe.

It’s not enough for me to wave you off; but it IS enough for me to flag it and keep testing. If you’re neuroma-prone, that’s your cue to demo before you buy.

Similar Shoes to the On Cloudboom Strike 2

Our team has tested a wide variety of super trainers, here are ones we find most similar in this category:

  • On Cloudboom Strike (v1): The obvious comparison. The Strike 2 keeps the DNA but softens and lightens the foam, especially in the forefoot, and the new segmented geometry rolls more aggressively than the original. Oh, and it’s cheaper than the v1 was at launch; not a sentence I get to write often.
  • adidas Adizero Adios Pro 3: Many super shoes feel like tippy, over-rockered trampolines; the Strike 2 does NOT. It feels planted and grounded underfoot and very reliable underfoot. The Adios Pro 3 built its whole reputation on being the stable, firm, controlled super shoe in a sea of wobbly ones, and the Strike 2 lives in that same neighborhood. (Worth flagging: the newer Adios Pro 4 went soft and considerably less stable, so I’m speaking specifically to the 3, not the newest model.)
  • Brooks Hyperion Elite 5: A higher drop with the same lightweight poppy feel. Will make those with more narrow feet happy.
Buy On Cloudboom Strike 2
What to read next?

The post On Didn’t Fix the Cloudboom Strike. They Made It Better. appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/ehMUI6s