The Altra Escalante 5 is the newest version of Altra’s beloved, zero-drop, low-cushion, nearly-decade-old shoe for road running, walking, and speedwork. Altra Escalante 5 ReviewIt has the famous foot-shaped toe box along with a comfy sock-like fit that feels pleasantly secure for some and way too tight for others.

The 5 features upgrades to the knit upper, tongue, and outsole that will hopefully result in greater durability than many people experienced in the 4s. 

You’ll find many strong opinions on the internet from Escalante loyalists and zero-drop-curious folks who are looking for ways to relieve foot pain and increase comfort. Escalantes are a classic shoe that checks a lot of important boxes in ways few other shoes do. 

They are a great entry point into the zero-drop world, and on the flip side, they are a great recovery shoe for barefoot runners. Plus, many fans exclusively wear Escalantes for all walking and running.

Our Verdict

91%

If you are at all interested in the zero-drop, full-toe-box running shoe world and you haven’t tried the Escalantes, this is your sign to do so. They have a loyal following of people from many different shoe backgrounds, spanning barefoot enthusiasts to zero-drop, low-cushion converts.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the Altra Escalante 5 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: Altra is a dream come true for folks with wide feet. 
  • Heavier Runners: If you’re happy with zero drop and low cushion, these shoes are great, no matter the size of your body. 
  • Long Runs: The distance you run in these shoes entirely depends on how comfy you are with the style. 
  • Front of the Pack: For zero-drop lovers, these shoes are fun and zippy, although some speedy folks may prefer the Escalante Racer.
Buy Altra Escalante 5

This shoe is great for anyone who thrives in zero-drop shoes, wants to be able to spread their toes wide, and loves feeling some (but not all) of the ground beneath their feet. However, if you aren’t used to the zero-drop/barefoot lifestyle, the Escalantes might make your feet and calves quite angry. It’s important to slowly ease into it to allow your body time to adjust. Altra Escalante 5 Instep

Altra Altra Escalante 5 Overview

For me, every version has felt like the perfect balance between freeing and protective, as well as agile and supportive. I’m happy to have a fresh pair for runs and daily wear.

Long before I started gear testing for Run to the Finish, I read these guides to figure out what running shoes to try. It’s been a journey, but finding the right shoes has made a wonderful difference in my running and overall health, and reviews like this one helped me a great deal.

I’m thrilled to be able to nerd out about one of my all-time favorite shoes in this unfiltered, unsponsored review.

Altra Escalante 5 OverviewI wear the Escalantes for short- to medium-distance easy runs, walks, and errands. I’ve come to really think of them as my delightful, indulgent recovery shoes.

They are cute, they feel great on my feet, and I have the added layer of satisfaction that something so happy is actually helping my body stay strong and healthy. 

The change from the 3s to 4s was notable, but the shift to the 5s seems much more subtle. The shoes still have the core elements: low stack height, low cushion, neutral support, full toe box, zero drop, and knit upper. 

My Altra 3s carried me many hundreds of miles (I stopped counting), but my 4s started to literally unravel pretty quickly after my test miles.

I can easily mend them, but they don’t seem as hearty as the 3s. Many folks have reported issues with the rubber outsole falling off or the shoes breaking down between 200 and 300 miles. Thankfully, the quality seems to have improved in the 5s. 

Also, if we are paying close attention to details, we should note that the 5s are 0.25 ounces heavier than the 4s, in the women’s size 7 model. This might not seem like a lot, but relatively small changes in shoe weight can have an impact on speed for those who are really trying to optimize every element. 

Altra Escalante 5 Specifications

  • Brand: Altra
  • Usage: Daily Trainer
  • Previous Model: Escalante 4
  • Weight: 9.7 oz Men’s, 7.75 oz Women’s
  • Stack Height: 24 mm
  • Heel Drop: 0 mm
  • Available in 6 Colors for Women and 7 Colors for Men
  • Not available in wide
  • Available on Altrarunning.com for $140
Buy Altra Escalante 5

I have the Desert Flower/Coconut Cream colorway. I love the look of these shoes because they are a cheerful grapefruit pink with a slight orangey ombré. They look great with running clothes as well as dresses and skirts. After so many years of my feet feeling miserable in shoes, these are such a treat.

Quick Take

Pros

  • Foot-shaped toebox 
  • Great ground feel 
  • Responsive and comfy

Cons

  • Laces don’t stay tied (consistently a problem with Altra) 
  • Too shallow a toebox for some

Altra Escalante 5 Fit

I wear the same size in the 5s that I wear in all my other Altra and Topo shoes. Ever since version 4, the design of the upper knit has felt more snug and sock-like.

Altra Escalante 5 InstepEven still, I can wiggle my toes without restriction, my toes can splay as widely as they want, and I enjoy the feeling of a gentle hug of fabric on my feet. However, not everyone feels the same about the last point. The sock-like fit can be a deal-breaker for those with thicker feet. 

The balanced, neutral-support arch, heel, and midfoot design feels great. The arch is not prominent, the heel is gently cushioned, and I don’t need to do anything special with the laces for my midfoot to feel comfortable. 

The 24mm cushion is just enough to feel a nice bounce but not enough to eliminate feedback from the ground. I get to be as close to barefoot as I want to be in NYC.

The cushion and rubber outsole are flexible, so the shoe is not at all rigid. My feet can fully articulate through their full range of motion. 

Altra Escalante 5 Heel CollarThe tongue is a thin knit fabric. It comes up higher in the 5s than in the 4s, making it easier to pull up and a bit more secure. I’m pleased to see a new design for the stitching that holds the tongue to the upper fabric. Hopefully, it will not unravel like the seams in my 4s. 

The heel is lightly padded. It offers just the right amount of softness without feeling too present. My feet are secure and happy.

Altra Escalante 5 Feel

Altra’s EGO™ midsole foam is indeed responsive, but as someone who has run in a range of cushioned shoes, I wouldn’t quite call it luxurious.

It’s more of a Subaru-Forester-kind-of-shoe than a whatever-luxury-car-people-are-most-excited-about-these-days kind of shoe. To me, the foam feels discreetly bouncy and springy.

There’s just enough zest to make things fun, but not so much that it overrides what the body can do. 

Altra Escalante 5 HeelThe shoes don’t feel heavy by any means, but I am seriously surprised they don’t weigh less. They are currently at the lower end of the average weight running shoes. 

The whole point of Escalantes is for your feet, ankles, and body to do some work. If the shoes are a good match, this will feel great, perhaps even freeing. If these shoes aren’t right for your body, they could cause a lot of pain and even lead to injuries. 

In my current rotation, the shoes closest to the Escalantes are the Topo Cyclone 3 and the Topo ST-6. For those who are not familiar with Topo, the shoes also allow for your toes to splay naturally, and many of the models are zero-to-low drop. These two shoes in particular remind me of the Escalantes in different ways.

Altra Escalante 5 OutsoleLike the Escalantes, the cushion and outsole of the Cyclone 3 are flexible enough to allow my feet to move through a full range of motion in every stride. However, the shoes weigh 5.5 ounces, allowing for a bit more pop than the Escalantes. Also, they have a 5mm drop, and that teensy difference, about the width of a pencil eraser, changes mechanics noticeably for me. 

Topo’s ST-6 is at the other end of the spectrum. With a 14 mm stack height, they bring my feet even closer to the ground and filter out less of the textural input.

Like the Escalantes, they are zero-drop, but they are substantially lighter at 5.2 oz. They feel like substantially less shoe. I don’t find myself grabbing them for many road runs, but I do opt for these for gym workouts when I want to be as close to barefoot as possible and for daily wear when the colorway complements my outfit. 

Altra Escalante 4 vs 5

I fell in love with the zero-drop, foot-shaped-toe-box universe through the Escalante 3s, I enjoy the 4s, and I am now a fan of the 5s.

The newest model has upgraded EGO™ midsole foam, tongue design, and knit upper. There is also more rubber on the outsole, and less of the foam comes into contact with the ground. 

Altra Escalante 4v5To try to discern the differences between the 4 and 5, I’ve been wearing one on each foot, which is a very silly look because the 5 is pink and the 4 is black.

Interestingly, I can wear both shoes without any issues or discomfort from discrepancies between the two. I have yet to be able to notice any real differences in feel.

The most striking differences I note are in design features that I hope will lead to a more durable and longer-lasting life for the 5s than many have experienced with the 4s due to seam and outsole issues. 

Ultimately, I always have to have an Escalante in my rotation. While other shoes check a few of the boxes or resonate in somewhat similar ways, nothing truly compares. 

Similar Shoes to the Altra Escalante 5

Our team has tested a lots of different low drop daily trainers, here’s a few other similar shoes:

  • Altra Torin 9 – 28mm stack height, making this this cushioned option for those who want a bit more
  • Topo Fly-lite 6 – 23mm, 3mm drop, we called it a cross training shoe, but it’s very similar with wide toe box
  • Keen Wander – Trail shoe with similar low profile, but not as wide in the toe box
Buy Altra Escalante 5
What to read next?

The post Altra Didn’t Overthink the Escalante 5. That’s a Good Thing. appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/R90CpxA