The Topo Specter 3 got a major overhaul with updated cushioning, a more aggressive rocker, and a lighter design. Here’s what we thought after testing it.topo specter 3 review

If it seems like there are a lot of super trainers popping up lately, you’re not imagining it.

Brands are all chasing the same goal: creating one shoe that’s versatile enough to handle everything from daily miles to faster workouts.

The Topo Specter 3 is the first of several new releases coming from Topo this year, and if you’re already a fan of the brand, I think you’ll appreciate the updates they made.

My experience is probably going to be a little different from many of the reviews you may have read.

The Specter 3 just didn’t win me over. I think a big part of that comes down to my running stride, so let’s get into why.

</b>Our Verdict<b>

85%

While it wasn’t a home run for this tester, the Topo Specter 3 will be a great fit for plenty of runners. If you naturally land more toward your midfoot or heel, I think you’ll get a lot more out of the updated rocker and cushioning. It’s a versatile super training shoe that can easily handle daily miles, long runs, and even marathon race day, making it a solid choice for middle- and back-of-the-pack runners looking for one shoe that can do a little bit of everything.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is Topo Specter 3 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: Lots of room available, especially thanks to Topo’s roomy toe-box design
  • Heavier Runners: Even though this has a good chunk of cushioning underfoot, you’re not going to feel like you’re sinking into the shoe.
  • Long Runs: The RevFoam ATPU foam is going to keep your feet comfortable for many miles
  • Front of the Pack: Perfect shoe for some speed workouts and pickups but probably not for race day.

Topo Specter 3 Overview

I have a feeling some of you are going to want to throw tomatoes at me for this one….but hear me out.

The Topo Specter 3 just didn’t give me the “wow” feeling underfoot that I was expecting.

Trust me, I really wanted to love this shoe. Between the sleek design and gorgeous colorway, I was rooting for it before I even laced it up.

I gave it plenty of opportunities to win me over on both the treadmill and the roads, but after multiple runs, it just never clicked.

That’s not to say Topo didn’t make some big improvements.topo specter 3 fit and feel

The Specter 3 received a complete overhaul with updated ZipFoam ATPU cushioning, a more pronounced rocker, additional stack height, and a redesigned outsole. 

On paper, it checks a lot of boxes for a decently priced super trainer.

For me, though, I think my stride played a big role in why it didn’t work as well. I naturally run farther up on my forefoot (thanks to many years of dance), and I found myself almost searching for the foam.

The forefoot felt firmer and flatter than I expected, and I kept wondering where all that extra cushioning was supposed to be. topo specter 3 heel toe

The rocker geometry is definitely noticeable. The aggressively shaped forefoot rolls you forward with every step (walking or running), making heel-to-toe transitions feel like that was the only way to go. It may be a little too aggressive when standing in these shoes, but it’s something you can get used to.

I also tried using the Specter 3 for some faster workouts, hoping it would come alive at tempo pace. Unfortunately, it never really did.

I was looking for the same pop and energy return I get from shoes like the Saucony Endorphin Azura, but the ride felt dull.

It wasn’t particularly bouncy or responsive, and I never got that feel of the shoe helping me turn my legs over.

By the end of most runs, my legs actually felt more fatigued than I expected. Instead of feeling like the shoe was helping me move efficiently, it felt like I was working a little harder.

topo specter 3 outsole

One thing we always wonder with these lightweight, springy foams is how they’ll hold up over time, but ATPU is designed to withstand plenty of miles without losing its ride.

Topo also reinforced the high-wear areas of the outsole, where most runners tend to wear through their shoes first.

The rubber provides reliable traction on everything from wet sidewalks to crushed-gravel paths, so you can feel confident wherever your run takes you.

Topo Specter 3 Specifications

  • Brand: Topo 
  • Previous Model: Topo Specter 2
  • Usage: Super Trainer
  • Weight: 7.7oz Men’s, 6.3oz Women’s
  • Stack Height: 39 mm heel
  • Heel Drop: 5 mm
  • Not available in wide
  • Available in 1 colorway
  • Available from rei.com for $170

Quick Take

Pros
  • Wide toe box design with lots of space
  • Super comfortable fit, lightweight
  • Durable outsole that you won’t have to worry about the foam wearing down quickly
Cons
  • Foot slides forward on downhills
  • Almost too much space in the toe box (at least if you’re newer to the Topo design)

Topo Specter 3 Fit

The Topo Specter 3 fits like a dream.

The signature wide toe box gives your toes plenty of room to spread out, which I especially appreciated on warmer days when my feet started to swell during runs longer than about six miles.

The tongue sits comfortably across the top of the foot, and there’s just the right amount of padding around the heel collar without feeling like it’s too much.

The Specter 3 also has three eyelets, making it easy to customize the lacing if you typically use a runner’s knot or need a little extra lockdown.

topo specter 3 lacing

My only complaint with the fit was that my foot tended to slide forward on any downhills.

I found myself having to pay extra attention to keep my toes from bumping the front of the shoe, something that I really don’t want to have to worry about every run.

I’ve run in a few shoes with wider toe boxes before, but this was the first time I’ve experienced that amount of forward movement inside the shoe.

All right, let’s talk about what might be similar to this super trainer:

  • On Cloudmonster HyperA wider fit without the wide toe-box design. May work better at providing a more stable ride.
  • Saucony Endorphin Azura – Similar balance of cushion and firmness but a smoother transition for forefoot runners
  • ASICS Superblast 3 – Higher stack height, and feels more bouncy underfoot

There you have it, our Topo Specter 3 review.

Have you given it a try? What did you think? Let us know below.

Looking for what to read next?

The post Topo Specter 3 Review: A More Versatile Super Trainer with a Wide Toebox appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/TrgWiwd