There’s a new kid in town and they are doing things a little different. Minimalist runners and gym goers, Notace has entered the chat.

Notace Michi 1 OverviewRather than chasing maximum stack height or carbon-plated speed, Notace focuses on natural movement, ground feel, and simplicity. The Michi 1 is their first road to gym shoe. You can check out our review of their first trail shoe here.

While Notace bills this as a road to gym shoe, I tested it out mostly as a gym and lifting shoe. We all know (or should know) we generally don’t want to lift in our running shoes.

These however are an interesting exception to that.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the Notace Michi 1 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: Nice wide foot shaped toebox and narrower heel for a secure fit.
  • Heavier Runners: These will be great for any body shape or size when using for strength training.
  • Long Runs: Only if you are used to, and love, minimally cushioned zero-drop shoes.
  • Front of the Pack: Will be great for strength training days.
Buy Notace Michi 1

This is a great gym shoe for doing heavy lifting and maintaining that needed ground contact and grip. Is it a running shoe? For sure you could do some cross training classes and workouts, maybe even a Hyrox type thing, but it’s probably not one we’re going to recommend for the majority of runners.

If you LOVE barefoot style shoes then rock on, otherwise the lack of cushion is going to make this best suited for gym workouts.

Notace Michi 1 Overview

Inspired by Japanese minimalist design, Notace believes less is more. Everything is done with intention and a belief in the power of natural movement.

Notace Michi 1 HeelI have been in the market for a good strength training shoe for awhile. Years ago I used to go to the gym and lift in a pair of TOMS which were great. But once I started attending more runner endurance specific classes and more kettlebell work, I wanted shoes built for strength training. Low to no drop, grippy, stable.

Enter Notace Michi 1.

Opening the box, I was so amazed at how lightweight they were. Whisper light.

Usually the first thing I do with a shoe is get it on my foot to get that first impression. With these, my first act was to bend it. They are so flexible, I could practically roll them into a ball.

Another standout feature is the anatomical, foot-shaped toe box. It allows the toes to spread naturally, improving stability and comfort without feeling sloppy.

Once I got them on my feet, I knew I was going to love them. They felt like nothing at all, yet everything I was looking for. Grip, support, ground feel, all with a touch of cushion.

Notace even says they are “designed to disappear”.

Notace Michi 1 OutsoleThe eTPU midsole provides surprisingly soft for such a minimalist shoe, offering more cushioning than a barefoot shoe while maintaining excellent connection to to the ground.

The breathable mesh upper keeps the shoe cool, and forms around the foot. So breathable, that if you hold it up to the light, you can actually see the support structure through the mesh.

One thing to keep in mind with any zero-drop or minimalist shoe: don’t jump into wearing them for long periods right away. Your feet and lower legs need time to adjust. Start by wearing them for short periods and gradually increase your time in them. Making the switch too quickly can leave your feet and calves pretty sore.

Notace Michi 1 Specifications

  • Brand: Notace
  • Usage: Lifting Shoes
  • Weight: 6.3 oz
  • Stack height: 15mm
  • Heel Drop: Zero drop
  • Colors: White, Navy, Black & White
  • Available in wide: No, instead they feature a foot shaped design with a wide toe box
  • Available at notace.com for $165
Buy Notace Michi 1

The minimal look is going to make these great for taking out of the gym and on your day to day activities. The colors are all very understated and will go with just about anything.

Quick Take

Pros

  • Flexible, grippy sole
  • Great for barefoot training
  • Lightweight and breathable

Cons

  • Shorter length

Notace Michi 1 Fit

The Michi 1 fits like a glove in the best way possible. The mesh is super breathable and light weight and wraps around your foot.

Notace Michi 1 CushionLocking in is super easy, yet nothing ever feels tight or restricting. I had this issue in with a pair of NOBULL Outwork where once tied, they rubbed on the top of my foot.

The upper and laces seem to have just a hint of elasticity to them. They move with you.

One downside, which is easily remedied, is they run a bit short. I had to double check the size at one point because despite the foot shaped toebox, my toes hit the very edge when walking.

After checking Notace’s website, they do in fact recommend sizing up a half size from what you normally wear.

Speaking on the foot shaped toebox, as I said earlier it gives the toes plenty of room to splay and grip the ground

Notace Michi 1 Feel

The Michi 1 feel for me is great. On top of traditional strength training, I do an endurance runner specific strength class and kettlebell training.

Notace Michi 1 FlexWearing a more stiff soled lifting shoe was not working for me. The dynamic moves were being limited or uncomfortable. I was lacking the foot grip while doing kettlebell swings.

The Michi 1 changed all that. First day wearing them I was out in a parking lot doing dynamic warm ups and drills. Followed by decels and weighted lunges.

These felt like an extension of my feet. Absorbing some of the shock and offering protection and again, moving with me.

Notace Michi 1 DropIt has been instilled in my brain how important foot and ankle strength is when lifting. Thanks to my kettlebell instructor, and Coach Laura Swenson.

Usually when I am working with kettlebell I am barefoot. I don’t want to do that in a larger gym like my LA Fitness, but I still want that foot grip strength.

With the foot shaped toebox and cushioning on the Michi 1 I still feel that workout in my feet.

Similar Shoes to the Notace Michi 1

Our team has tested a variety of lifting and minimalist shoes, here’s a few other similar shoes:

  • Flux Adapt RunnerMuch higher stack height, zero drop, more suited to running and lifting.
  • New Balance Minimus TR Boa v2More structured with a 4mm drop with a similar stack and customizable fit.
  • NOBULL Outwork – More narrow option that has a bit higher stack and a 4mm drop and a much stiffer sole.
Buy Notace Michi 1

Our Verdict

94%

 

What to read next?

The post This Might Be the Best Shoe for Squats and Deadlifts appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/xPO5FXC