Salomon’s Aero Blaze 4 is designed and advertised as a shoe for any road runner to take on easy everyday runs as well as out for faster efforts.

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 ReviewDoes it deliver? With a newly redesigned midsole compared to version three and an ultralight upper, I was excited to try on and run with my first ever pair of Salomon shoes. 

My very first thought upon getting my hands on my first pair of Salomon shoes was that if Courtney Dauwalter loves Salomon, for me that starts them off already with an extra point.

I know, I know, these are a road shoe and she’s such a trail queen (though us MSP folks did love screaming for her during the Twin Cities Marathon in 2025) it still gave them a first impression leg up for me. 

Right off the bat, this is not a race day shoe.

I’d even go as far to say that they’re not a moderate effort workout shoe. However! They’re a great easy day, run and chit chat type of shoe.

They remind me the most of a wonderful recliner. Comfortable, full of cushion, and rocks back and forth nicely for a relaxing time.

Our Verdict

88%

I will continue to reach for this one! I see it being a very reliable option and go-to for true recovery run days. It’ll also be part of my vacation shoe roster as I’m always looking to try to limit the number of running shoes I pack to take on a trip. The colorway options and reliable comfort  along with the light weight make it easy to toss in the suitcase. This shoe really reminds me that running doesn’t always need to be intense or a big deal. Sit back, look around, enjoy the experience.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the Salomon Aero Blaze 4 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: I think you’d be ok, but I’m a narrow foot person and I had plenty of room.
  • Heavier Runners: Cushion, softness galore, this shoe will support many runners.
  • Long Runs: As long as you don’t need any real help with turnover once you get tired or aren’t going to be out for 1.5+hours this is an ok choice.
  • Front of the Pack: Maybe not my first choice for some faster running but take it out with your friends who are not your normal pace buddies instead.

Buy Salomon Aero Blaze 4

This shoe is great for any runner looking for an easy once or twice a week true recovery run.

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 Overview

The first part of the shoe I grabbed directly out of the box was the foam. My immediate first impression both in sound and how it feels is: styrofoam.

It has, to me, the exact same texture to the touch as styrofoam and when you glide your fingers across it, it makes that signature styrofoam squeak. 

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 OverviewI know we all hear about foam this, foam that when it comes to shoes lately, but I’ve never thought about a shoe’s foam in the styrofoam category before, and was very skeptical about how that would feel underfoot.

Next, the upper. It’s a bit of a change from the Aero Blaze 3 if you’ve loved it in the past. The Aero Blaze 4 now has a new mesh upper focused on breathability. Which, for this Minnesotan, great in the summer, not a positive in the winter. 

Excited to see what this styrofoam foam was all about (that’s what I call it, Salomon calls it optiFOAM2 ) it was time to go for a run.

I made the mistake of immediately taking it out for a workout rather than an easy run, which I do not recommend.

However! Do not take that as a negative. I just believe that isn’t the strong suit of this shoe for what I personally need out of a shoe in a workout or faster effort. 

The shoe is meant to be the sweet balancing point of cushion and energy return, but for me it leans more to the cushioning side of the scale than the energy return side.

Salomon Aero Blaze HeelWhen I think energy return with cushion I think Adidas EVO SL or New Balance Supercomp Trainer, and the Aero Blaze 4 is a completely different shoe than either of those options.

To me it is much more of a true recovery run shoe with some help through the heel to mid-sole transition point. 

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 Specifications

Buy Salomon Aero Blaze 4

I really like how the shoe looks from an everyday trainer perspective. All of the colorways are somewhat “normal” for the running industry, there are pops of color available as well as some neutral options. The geometric designs on the outside of the foam are a nice touch and are slightly different than what other brands are doing at the moment. 

Quick Take

Pros

  • Truly light breathable upper for warm days
  • Ideal moderate cushion option
  • Great value trainer 

Cons

  • Doesn’t have a lot of pop
  • Might be too firm for some

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 Fit

I do not have a difficult foot to fit in a shoe so I’m never the best to go to if you have wide feet or more particular feet when it comes to fit.

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 SideIf you fall into the average category like I do, I think you’ll find these comfortable, without any hot spots along the tongue or midfoot lacing, and no heel slippage problems either.

From a fit standpoint the Aero Blaze 4 really does strike me as a traditional sneaker. They didn’t try to do something novel or change the game in someway and I think it’s great to have a dependable option on the market.

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 Feel

The optiFOAM2 (or styrofoam) cushioning is really quite comfortable. The emphasis on the midsole foam for much of the density is noticeable while standing, walking, and running but I do not think that is a negative. The foam is engineered for comfort on longer efforts and I can see this shoe being a great vacation option for sightseeing runs, walks, and travel days in between. 

Salomon Aero Blaze 4 CushionThe Aero Blaze 4 also boasts a contaGRIP® outsole which Salomon says provides reliable traction on both wet and dry pavement while also contributing to this version of the Aero Blaze being lighter than previous iterations. I didn’t notice any traction issues at all while running in the shoe or while doing agility with my dog.

I don’t have any stability needs personally so I can’t speak to that aspect, but I was able to turn off my brain and just run in the shoe. I wasn’t being bounced all over the place or unstable while standing which is often a problem in shoes that promise more of an energy return. I also don’t notice the heel drop. It doesn’t anger my big toe that doesn’t like to bend while also helping me feel like I’m not just out there with a flat piece of cardboard.

Similar Shoes to the Salomon Aero Blaze 4

Our team has tested a ton of daily trainers, here’s a few other similar shoes:

  • Saucony Kinvara 16Excellent lightweight running shoe with similar cushion and drop, but lighter.
  • New Balance FuelCell Rebel V5 – Another similarly versatile shoe with the same height and drop but lighter weight.
  • Hoka Mach 7 – Another 5mm drop shoe with moderate cushion that’s light to go from daily miles to tempo work.
Buy Salomon Aero Blaze 4

Who Tried It?

I’m a freelance photographer based in the Twin Cities. I started running during the pandemic when the gyms closed and to try to keep up with my agility dog. I now use running to help my body stay fluid to function in daily life. As a person with fibromyalgia, staying in motion is essential for my health, rather than a choice. In addition to running I enjoy lifting, spin classes and yin yoga. Find me on Instagram @katrinagaisford

What to read next?

The post This Is the Daily Trainer for Runners Who Are Over Max Cushion appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/jcGbI4A