The KEEN Wander surprised me, just not quite in the way I expected.
When I think of KEEN, I think hiking boots that last forever, roomy toe boxes, and shoes built for long days outside. So when I heard they were getting more serious about trail running, I was curious what they’d come up with.
I put the Wander through its paces on the trails around Crested Butte, Colorado, including everything from dirt roads to rocky singletrack to creek crossings.
And after all that, I kept landing on the same conclusion: this doesn’t really feel like a trail running shoe.
It feels like a really comfortable sneaker that happens to hold up fine on trails.
I’ll give you the good and the not-so-good below, and you can weigh which parts matter most for your own feet and your own trails.
Let’s break it down.
Our Verdict
It feels like KEEN leaned into what they already do best: making comfortable outdoor shoes, and the result blurs the line between hiking shoes, trail runners, and everyday sneakers.
For me, the biggest downside was the lack of arch support. I noticed it on every run, and I found myself wishing for more structure under my midfoot. But for flat footed runners, this may be a great option.
Comfort is really where this shoe shines. The roomy toe box, padded tongue, cushioned heel cup, and room for orthotics all add up to a shoe you could happily wear from morning to night.
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: Yes, these naturally fit KEEN wide.
- Technical Trails: Not the best choice for technical trails, but yes to smooth, flowy singletrack.
- Long Runs: It will work for easy trail runs, dirt roads, and mellow singletrack.
- Front of the Pack: Not built as a race shoe.
This shoe is best for runners who want a roomy, all-day-comfortable shoe for easy trails, dirt roads, and hiking, rather than a technical mountain shoe built for speed or rocky descents.
KEEN Wander Overview
Instead of chasing the current trend toward towering, max-cushioned midsoles, KEEN kept the stack height relatively low here, which gives the shoe a more grounded feel.
They did add a three-quarter-length rock plate, so you’re still protected from sharp rocks underfoot.
One thing worth noting: the midsole uses an eco-friendly foam designed to biodegrade once the shoe’s done, which isn’t something you see very often in this category. I think that is pretty dang cool and it tells you a bit about who KEEN is as a company.
But don’t think that means the Wander will degrade on your feet, KEEN also makes some bold durability claims.
The outsole uses abrasion-resistant rubber with 3 mm lugs, and independent testing from Heeluxe puts the potential lifespan at over 925 miles before the lugs wear smooth.
I haven’t come close to that kind of mileage in my testing, but mine still look nearly new after weeks of runs.
Overall, I think the Wander is best suited as a do-it-all outdoor shoe. It comfortably bridges the gap between hiking shoe, travel sneaker, and easy trail runner.
KEEN Wander Specifications
- Brand: KEEN
- Usage: Trail Running
- Weight: 7.69 oz
- Stack Height: 24 mm
- Heel Drop: 4 mm
- Colors: Huckleberry/Symphonic Sunset, Vintage Indigo/Skyway, Black/Magnet, and Birch/Star White
- Not available in wide
- Available at KEEN.com for $140
Quick Take
Pros
- Roomy toebox
- Low stack makes for great groundfeel
- Eco friendly
Cons
- No arch support
- Not for technical trails
- Not responsive
KEEN Wander Fit
The fit is exactly what you’d expect from KEEN.
The toe box is wide without feeling sloppy or unstructured, so your toes have room to move on longer runs without the shoe feeling loose everywhere else. If shoes that pinch your forefoot have ever bothered you, this is a nice change of pace.
Right out of the box, the upper felt comfortable. The heel cup is well padded and holds your foot in place well, and the tongue has more cushioning than most trail shoes I’ve tested, which made it easy to snug the laces down without any pressure points across the top of my foot.
They also left enough extra lace length to actually tie a proper runner’s heel lock, which sounds minor until you realize how many brands skimp on this.
There’s a lot of interior volume overall, which is great if you run with custom orthotics or like swapping in your own insoles. Honestly, if I keep running in these, I’ll probably swap the stock insole for something with a bit more arch support.
And that’s really where the shoe lost me a little.
I have medium arches, and the Wander just doesn’t match that shape. It felt almost completely flat under my arch the whole time. It never got bad enough to stop a run, but I noticed it every single time out.
If your feet are flatter, you may never think twice about this. For mine, I kept wanting just a bit more support underfoot.
KEEN Wander Feel
If I had to sum up the Wander in one line: it feels more like a sneaker than a trail shoe.
It’s not overly soft, and it’s not especially responsive either. It’s just comfortable, in a pretty straightforward way.
The lower stack height keeps you connected to the ground, and the rock plate does its job, and I never felt sharp rocks that I was running on. I was also impressed by how the shoe handled water.
After a handful of creek crossings, the mesh upper drained fast, but the thicker tongue did hang on to water a bit longer.
On smoother trails, dirt roads, and rolling singletrack, I enjoyed running in these.
But once the trail turned rockier or more technical, I started to want more support and responsiveness than the Wander offers for my foot shape. That flatter arch profile and relaxed ride never gave me the confidence I want on technical descents.
Which, for me, is really the whole story here: comfortable, but missing the performance-oriented features most modern trail shoes are chasing. But for those who don’t want or need those extra features, this might be the perfect shoe for you!
Our team has tested a lots of different trail running shoes, here’s a few other similar shoes: All right there you have all our thoughts on the KEEN Wander! The post I Kept Forgetting This Was Supposed to Be a Trail Running Shoe appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
Similar Shoes to the KEEN Wander
What to read next?
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/2acDqMr
Post a Comment
Post a Comment