Altra is known for its foot-shaped fit, mostly zero-drop design, and wide toe boxes. The Altra Olympus is one of the most cushioned trail shoes the brand offers.
This latest version, the Olympus 7, is not only squishy soft, but it has an updated Altra EGO™MAX midsole, Vibram® Megagrip outsole, and molded TPU overlays to make it both supportive and durable.

I’ve run in many Altra trail and road shoes and tested out the previous version, the Olympus 6.
I am currently in ultra training, so these shoes hit some rugged trails and joined me on a 20-mile run in the mountains, basically right out of the box.
Hitting big mileage and long days out on the trails is exactly what this shoe is designed for, and I was happy to put it to the test.
Our Verdict
The Altra Olympus 7 is built for comfort, offering soft cushioning, plenty of room, and reliable traction on rugged terrain. It’s not the shoe for speed, but it excels when you’re logging long hours and miles on the trail. For ultra runners and trail runners who value comfort and durability, this is a solid choice.
Who Is It Good For?
- Wide Feet: Yes.
- Technical Trails: Yes and no. Excellent traction, but they can feel a little clunky underfoot if moving fast.
- Long Runs: The cushion on this shoe is nice and great for all-day efforts, either trail running or hiking.
- Front of the Pack: No, this is not the most agile or nimble shoe to race fast in. They would be great for the middle of the pack or best later on in an ultra when the pace slows down.
Altra Olympus 7 Overview
If you tried the Olympus 6 and loved it, you will love the Olympus 7.
The feel of the shoe is cushioned like a plush road shoe with all of the features necessary for a trail shoe.

The updated Altra EGO™ Max midsole foam is 15% lighter and 10% softer than the previous version. The feet just feel good in these shoes. The Vibram® Megagrip outsole with TractionLug™ is so nice and grippy on technical terrain.
I experienced no slipping on loose scree, gravel, and wet granite out on the trails.
Just like the Olympus 6, the tongue is nicely padded with a wide design that stays nicely in place. The collar around the heel is not as padded as the previous model, but it is very comfortable, and I had no issues with rubbing or slipping.

If you’re paying full price for these shoes, you will appreciate the new molded TPU overlays that will not only provide protection for your feet out on the trail, but also make these shoes a nice, durable addition to your trail running shoe rotation.
The upper is breathable, yet sturdy and supportive, especially when running down technical terrain.
I really like the flared heel on both models and feel like it gives the shoe a nice feeling of control and balance over rocks, roots, and boulders.
The lacing system is a little different from the Olympus 6 in that there is more spacing between the laces, which makes it super easy to adjust.

When I headed out on my first run in the Olympus 7, my foot was moving around too much, and I was dreading having to stop and tighten up the laces. However, I could just slip my fingers through the laces and pull them tighter in a cinch. I really appreciated how easy it was to pull the laces up and re-tie the shoe.
With the wide toebox and wider fit, it’s nice how easy it is to adjust and customize the fit.
The Altra Olympus 7 Specifications
- Brand: Altra
- Usage: Trail Running
- Previous Model: Altra Olympus 6
- Weight: 11.45 oz Men’s, 9.6 oz Women’s
- Stack Height: 33 mm
- Heel Drop: 0 mm
- Available in 7 Colors
- Not available in wide
- Available on altrarunning.com for $195
Quick Take
Pros
- Plush, comfortable cushioning
- Roomy toe box
- Excellent traction
- Easy to adjust lacing and customize fit
Cons
- Can feel clunky
- Not ideal for fast racing
- No rock plate
- Not ideal for narrower feet
Altra Olympus 7 Fit
Length: True to size
Width: Wide
Toe Box: Roomy
Arch: Neutral
Volume: High
The fit on this shoe is roomy. Period. If you have a narrow foot, I would not recommend this shoe for you.
This shoe is designed with the original FootShape™ Fit, so the toe box is nice and roomy.
The midsole is nicely cushioned, and there is no rock plate. Without a rock plate, this shoe is comfortable for all-day wear, but some may find it less stable over rocky or technical terrain.
I had zero hot spots or rubbing issues on my feet, and my toes never felt squished.

There are additional eyelets at the top of the shoe to use a heel lock if needed. Once I adjusted the laces, I did not feel the need to do this as I experienced no slipping in my heels. The light cushion around the heel really helps keep your foot in place.
The padded tongue also felt nice on the top of the foot, and I experienced no biting laces. I attribute that to both the tongue and the way the laces were spaced, which worked out nicely for a comfortable and secure fit.
Altra Olympus 7 Feel
These are probably one of the most cushioned and comfortable trail shoes I’ve worn. My feet did not feel overly fatigued after running over very rocky terrain for about 6 hours on a long run.

They do not feel like a fast shoe for racing if that is your goal.
They are cushioned but can feel a little clunky underfoot. I did find myself catching some rocks, thinking I was clearing them with my feet, especially when I first put them on. The stack height is just a little higher than what I usually run in.
For all-day efforts, this shoe is great. I did not feel every sharp rock underfoot, and the cushion kept me feeling fresh since my feet were not hurting.

I love nice lugs when out on technical terrain, and these shoes did not disappoint. They are aggressive and grippy, and I never had any issues with slipping or sliding even after crossing creeks with wet rocks.
Our team has tested a wide variety of trail running shoes; here are the ones we find most similar in this category: The post Altra Olympus 7 Review: Plush Cushion Meets Rugged Trail Performance appeared first on RunToTheFinish.
Similar Shoes to the Altra Olympus 7
What to read next?
from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/Yf3cJIF
Post a Comment
Post a Comment