When I first found out I was going to be reviewing this shoe I’ll admit, a tear nearly broke the surface of my eye. The Altra Torin 9 is going to be a favorite for many runners.

Altra Torin 9 OverviewThe Torin 8 was the first shoe I reviewed for Run to the Finish, but aside from that mushy nonsense, I was excited to see where Altra would take one of their most popular zero road trainers.

Altra put some thought into this update and made some significant upgrades. From the top to the bottom, Altra threw a lot of newer materials into the ninth iteration of the Torin.

Did they go in the wrong direction, or did they push the Torin just enough ahead so it stays current?

Our Verdict

84%

The Torin 8 was a hit around here making many of our top lists, but the midsole change to the Torin 9 won’t be a win for many seeking a soft cushioned zero drop daily trainer. While it’s faster now, we think the firmness is going to turn off many casual runners looking to put in longer miles.

Who Is It Good For?

Who is the Altra Torin 9 a good fit for? Let’s break it down with some common categories:
  • Wide Feet: Absolutely, unless your feet are wider than wide.
  • Heavier Runners: The dual foam setup is firm and protective enough to prevent bottoming out, even over longer distances.
  • Long Runs: If you’re adjusted to a zero drop platform over longer distances, yes.
  • Front of the Pack: While my aggressively mediocre-ness was able to nail some speed work, it’s not really made for the speedier runners of the world.
Buy Altra Torin 9

Altra Torin 9 Overview

At first glance there isn’t a lot of difference between the Torin 8 and 9. The biggest difference is the heel. Even lacing up the shoe felt eerily similar. Under foot was where I noticed the biggest difference, after a while.

Altra Torin 9 ReviewThe first two runs were awful. There’s a small chance it was the fact that I had only put in maybe 10 to 12 miles in an Altra shoe since a deliberately slow comeback from an ankle injury last fall.

The landings were harsh and lifeless, the transition through my stride was like riding a bike on train tracks, and it seemed I was running into heavy wind gusts.

There is another possibility. My theory here is the outsole needed time to break in.

Prior to starting my test miles I always test the forefoot flexibility, the torsional flexibility, weigh it, etc. The forefoot was fairly stiff right out of the box, significantly more so than the Torin 8.

The midsole has a firmer feel, but I suspected the outsole was keeping it from flexing. Once the full coverage Vibram outsole took a bit of a pounding the shoe opened up. 

Altra Torin 9 OutsoleI was really impressed by the Vibram XS Dura Rubber Outsole, which covers nearly the entire shoe.

Traction was great in all conditions. I found the rubber to be very grippy, it was most noticeable on the sandy beach path I often run on. This will be a shoe that can do road to trail in a pinch.

During my third run I felt like I was comfortably gliding along. I could really feel the muscles in my feet doing a lot of work, which isn’t a bad thing. That’s kind of the point of this whole zero drop, low stack racket.

Altra shaved two millimeters from the midsole with this version. They also moved away from EGO Max to a new dual density foam setup; EGO P35X. The core of the midsole is tuned to be softer, while the rim is firmer for stability.

EGO P35X is similar to Asics’ FF Blast Max, but only in chemical composition. The underfoot feel is entirely different. On the run you can feel the softer landing, but that firm core keeps it all contained and lets you move through your stride without any instability. The sidewalls help with guidance as well.

Altra Torin 9 FoamAt easy pace I found it easy to settle into a rhythm and cruise along. The Torin 9 is light and responsive enough for strides, but there isn’t enough to the shoe for anything longer than 200 meter intervals at those top speeds, despite the “barely there” natural running feel.

I was a little surprised at how the Torin 9 handled tempo runs, which was an improvement over the Torin 8. While my average heart rate was lower for a 30-minute tempo session in the Mach 7 a week prior, it wasn’t out of control after the same run in the Torin 9 a week later. 

On long runs I did notice some serious foot fatigue and cardiac drift once I hit around 90 minutes, and I really struggled with the last 15 minutes at steady pace.

If you’re new to zero drop shoes I would seriously suggest slowly working up to double digit mileage runs, rather than doing so on your fourth run. Your feet and calves will thank you.

Altra Torin 9 Specifications

  • Brand: Altra
  • Usage: Daily Trainer
  • Previous Model: Torin 8
  • Stack Height: 28 mm
  • Heel to Toe Drop: Zero
  • Available in wide sizes in select colorways
  • Available in 8 colors
  • Available at altrarunning.com for $160
Buy Altra Torin 9

Altra really brought the heat with the White/Black/Safety Yellow colorway. I said it recently with my review of the Brooks Hyperion Max 4, but the white/black/yellow color combos this year are on fire.

Quick Take

Pros

  • Very stable
  • Just the right amount of softness under foot
  • Exceptional grip from the new Vibram outsole

Cons

  • Breathability can be better
  • Not a lot of life in the midsole
  • The uninitiated might experience calf and foot soreness

Altra Torin 9 Fit & Feel

The fit was business as usual in my usual men’s size 11. Similar to the Torin 8, the height in the toe box is not there. And also similar to the Torin 8, the upper is soft and comfortable enough that it wasn’t really a bother.

Altra Torin 9 ToeboxBut if you’re sensitive to toe rubbing it could be an issue.

The midfoot felt more snug this year, but I felt it helped with keeping my feet strapped more securely to the platform.

Not that foot hold was an issue, but I didn’t need to lace as tight in that area. The tongue is not gusseted, but its thoroughly-padded construction worked well with the lacing system, which is part conventional eyelets and part loops.

Breathability is once again not great, so it’s a shoe I would reserve for mostly morning runs. The laces are much better this year. Last year the laces came untied easily, but whatever material Altra used this year seemed to stick better. 

Altra Torin 9 Heel CollarThe ankle and heel collar has the same shape as the prior model, but Altra moved away from the “elf ear” heel and went back to a conventional heel counter.

Heel lock was very good, but if you find it to be loose there is an extra eyelet and just enough lace length for a runner’s knot.

Overall I felt the Altra Torin 9 is a slight improvement over the 8, based solely on the laces alone. I can’t tell you how many times I had to stop and tie my laces during any run of 60 or more minutes while running in the Torin 8.

It was nice to be able to go long and cruise without having to pull over and tighten my laces a few times.

The midsole does offer a bit more comfort and a small upgrade in feel, but the upgrade there is slight, at best. If you really loved the Torin 8, I don’t think the Torin 9 will be a huge update. I do think it can handle up to tempo paces better, but when it comes to tempo runs the Torin 9 is not something I, or most others would reach for on a regular basis.

Similar Shoes to the Altra Torin 9

Our team has tested a lots of different daily trainers, here’s a few other similar shoes:

  • Topo Magnifly 6: Another foot shaped zero drop trainer with a slightly roomier fit.
  • Hoka Mach 7: Lightweight and lower to the ground than many others, but with a 5mm drop and better at the uptempo stuff.
  • Altra Escalante 4: If you want even more ground feel in a lighter, stripped down package, the Escalante is the way to go.
Buy Altra Torin 9
What to read next?

The post The Torin 9 Doesn’t Feel Like the Torin I Remember appeared first on RunToTheFinish.



from RunToTheFinish https://ift.tt/RW0haU2